Charles B. May Jr., M.D.
Dr. Charles May is a native of Macon, Georgia. He graduated cum laude from the University of Georgia and received his medical doctorate from Emory University in Atlanta where he graduated with honors. He went on to complete his residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center/Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.
After finishing his residency, Dr. May moved to Vail, Colorado, where he completed a fellowship in sports medicine/knee and shoulder surgery at the prestigious Steadman Hawkins Clinic. The clinic has been internationally recognized as a leader in research, focusing on arthroscopic treatment of both upper and lower extremity injuries. While in Colorado, Dr. May was involved in the care of the Denver Broncos, Colorado Rockies and the United States Ski Team, as well as many other professional, collegiate, high school and recreational athletes.
Since moving to Rome in the fall of 2004, Dr. May has continued to provide care to athletes of all ages and abilities. He is team physician for Model High School and Pepperell High School. In addition, Dr. May served as a physician for the U.S. Men’s Alpine Ski Team and has traveled throughout the world covering training camps and races.
In addition to sports medicine, Dr. May’s practice focuses on treating ailments of the shoulder and knee using advanced arthroscopic techniques, as well as joint replacement of the knee and shoulder.
Dr. May is a member of the Georgia Orthopaedic Society and a fellow of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is board-certified by American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. May resides in Rome with his wife Lowery and his two children, Cappie and Charlie.
- Fellowship: Steadman Hawkins Clinic (Vail, Colorado)
- Residency: University of Texas Southwestern
- Internship: University of Texas Southwestern
- Medical: Emory University
- College: University of Georgia
- Board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Credentialed ImPACT consultant
- Graduated Cum Laude from the University of Georgia
- Graduated Cum Laude from Emory University School of Medicine
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society at Emory University
- Physician for the U.S. Men’s Alpine Ski Team since 2003
- Dr. May was named one of Georgia’s “Forty under Forty” by Georgia Trend Magazine in 2008
- Georgia Orthopaedic Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Model Blue Devils
- Pepperell Dragons